It’s important to have a mental checklist for what you need to do immediately following an accident. At the very least, whether it’s a major accident or a fender bender, damage claims and insurance companies will be involved. What happens right after an accident can make all the difference in how claims or lawsuits get resolved. Here are some things to keep in mind following a car accident:
- Most important of all, immediately check on the safety of everyone involved in the accident. Call paramedics if there’s the slightest possibility that anyone is injured. First and foremost, this should be done for the sake of the well-being of all involved. Secondary to that, it is important to the future success of any damage claims that you as an accident promptly seek medical attention if necessary.
- Whether or not paramedics are needed, make sure a police officer comes to the scene of the accident. It’s essential that a police report is created to determine which driver will be held legally at fault.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible, and make sure you follow through on all prescribed courses of treatment and follow-up visits. Keep a daily journal of the status and progression of your injuries. You need to be establishing a thorough medical record to document injuries in the event that you wish to seek monetary damages.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible following the accident. Keep careful track of the claim number you are assigned and the name of your claims adjuster. Report the accident to the other driver’s insurance company as well, but be careful about what you say.
- Seek the services of an experienced personal injury attorney immediately. An injury attorney can assist you with the documentation and in stressful claim settlement negotiations. When it comes time for a settlement, you’ll see the difference a good personal injury attorney can make when it comes time to settle the claims.
What to Do Immediately After a Car Crash in Portland OR and Salem OR
And all surrounding areas